« Home | A Not So Warm Welcome » | Home Again » | The Approaching Storm » | Guadalajara: Part 1 » | Better than the Heimlich » | Living Between the Lines » | Adventures with Bills » | Let it Roll » | Hello There Bloggy Town » | Painful » 

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 

The Saga Continues – A Not So Warm Welcome Part 2

(Part 1 here)
Three trips to the medicine cabinet, food, and regular bodily functions had done nothing for my pain. It was time to get serious. We consulted Marisol’s dad, a non-practicing, but U.C. Davis educated, vet. He prescribed a strong drug that was a sure cure.

That night we had plans with friends who we are always canceling on for reasons much less compelling than what I could proffer that day: the pain of trying to digest what I could only surmise was a bag of rusty, burning daggers. So we went. 25 minutes later I was limping up the stairs to my apartment thinking I just needed to lie down. Five minutes after that I was limping back down my stairs on the way to the hospital.

This was not a medical institution that filled me with confidence. The consultation fee was $4.50 and the “doctor” that attended to me wore fake, green contacts, a white t-shirt with a big heart on it, and had bleached hair tips. After some arguing with her apparently more experience doctor colleague I was told I had Colitis, given some pills for the pain, and an enormous injection of the same which left me grinning, giddy, and unable to read.

I woke up groggy but amazingly without pain for, oh, about half an hour. With a few more doses of the new medicine it became clear that it cured an illness I did not have. The waves of intense discomfort came and went with increased ferocity. By 2pm we were again in a hospital – this time the cities best – talking with what appeared to be a real doctor. Blood and urine tests and an hour of waiting provided the answer: Salmonella. Most likely from my own cooking. In Palo Alto. California.

Vital Stats
Taxi rides: 7
Different medicines taken: 6
Days of mind numbing pain: 3
Doctors visits: 2
Overly easy eggs consumed: 2
Ears accidentally pierced: 1

la netta le entendí madres a tu blog :/

Ohhhh mannnn. Salmonela from your own cooking in...Palo Alto??! Wow. What a story! Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever visited Tres Marias? I'm very curious about the restaurant there and, of course, the property/housing prices.

Actually I've never been to Tres Marias and I don't know much about property prices. In general you are going to get a lot more for your money than in the US but if you want to live in the Centro it's considerably more expensive than anywhere else in the city. This is only what I've heard. Personally I've not looked into it so I can't say with any authority.

-n

It sounds like you cook as well as I do. :) Chickens at long last have found their revenge on us!

Nate, another stomach story, I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible. I hope you recover quickly. You could write a book on your stomach ailments. What was the injection? What were you cured of that you didn't have?

I think you're dating the right person...! No more cooking for you!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.