« Home | Adventures with Bills » | Let it Roll » | Hello There Bloggy Town » | Painful » | The Parental Unit: Part 3 » | The Parental Unit: Part 2 » | The Parental Unit: Part 1 » | All the Media Attention is Exhausting » | The Great Post-it Note Debate » | The Commute » 

Friday, June 30, 2006 

Living Between the Lines

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
- Henry David Thoreau, “Walden”

I was thinking about how we measure success and specifically about what I’ve accomplished here in my first five months. If I went home tomorrow, what would I take with me? What would I say in my next job interview? Embarrassing, petty thoughts, but mine nonetheless. I’d love to blame them on my native culture, thoughts typical of Yanks who work too hard and enjoy life too little, but in the end their origin makes no difference. So what have I added to the world since I moved to Mexico? What accomplishments can I put on my resume? Well, nothing really. But I have learned something during my time here that makes me not care.

This “nothing” scared me at first. At one time I was on a path that may be familiar to you: AP classes, SAT tutors, extracurricular activities, an Ivy League education, and then an investment banking job in San Francisco. But I didn’t like that path. I saw myself rich and miserable in ten years. So I quit. Took another job with a better work/life balance but it didn’t sit right either. A number of events transpired to convince me the next step was a move to Mexico but that wasn’t a decision made with the mind. It was a leap of faith dealing with dreams and matters of the heart. I didn’t have to think about it and I’ve never regretted it.

I did come here with a list of things I wanted to achieve but so far, what I planned hasn’t come to pass. I started to feel bad about this but that was short sighted. It’s easy to obsess about the type of success you can measure and turn into bullet points but there is so much more to life than that. I’ve lived in a foreign country for five months. I’ve learned I enjoy writing. I’ve almost become fluent in Spanish. Most importantly, however, I listened to my heart and followed a dream, something I’ve never done before. I believe we die a little bit each time we shy away from a dream, avoiding the risk, sticking to the safe, well-trodden path, and I would forever be slightly less than whole had I not taken this step.

Despite our country’s, and perhaps the world’s, obsession with the intellect, I don’t believe you can think and reason your way to a happy life. Sadly, it just doesn’t work that way. Accomplishments and intellectual pursuits are a part of life, not the whole ensemble. If I’ve accomplished anything here, it’s that I’ve started learning how to live. It sounds trivial, but in reality we spend most of our lives working and worrying about the future, but never just living. But that is exactly what I’m doing here, living, at the most basic level: learning to communicate, cooking, eating, dancing, laughing, feeling, and loving. I’m sure there will be more bullet points for me to add to my resume in the months and years to come but for now, I’m living between the lines and I think it is the best thing I’ve ever accomplished.

I love it so so much what you wrote, Nate. It is nice to have known you because I feel like someone is capable to understand what i feel about experiencing México...Hoping that you will still be there when I arrive :)

Thanks for the kind words Amandine. I hope I'm here too. It will be great to see you again.

-n

wow, great post, nate. i've been trying to tell you that all along. we love you!

Natalio del Mar, estoy muy orgullosa de ti!

Hi Nate,
I came across your blog and I want you to know that I loved your blog today. I was born and raised in east la, cA and consider myself a mexicana. My family is Mexican and I love my cultura, mi gente, everything about my history! Despite being very aware of my culture it is still easy to get caught up with the attitude "Do, do, do, do until you drop." I am guilty of that. In 1998 I went to study in Guadalajara where I lived for 3 1/2 months and my thinking changed. I no longer wear a watch(I'm still on time though), try to do the things that matter like: being with my family, friends, laughing until I can't anymore, sitting on the porch, just living you know? But it's easy to get side tracked. Your blog today reminded me that at the end of the road my resume is not going to matter; instead what will matter is how I lived my life, who did I touch, who did I encourage, how many people did I love and did I live my life to the fullest. Anyway since then I've had it in my heart to live in Mexico and I'm glad that you followed your heart.
Adelante,
~Liz

i like the title of this entry. almost as much as i like the entry itself. sounds like you are doing well and have a lot more perspective than i do

Hi Nate,
Quite often our best decisions are made more with our hearts than with our intellect.
You need to store all of these memories and insights in a very secure place in your heart, so that in years to come, you can use these experiences to help make wise decisions.
Don’t store them away so you can’t find them when you need them:>)
That is something that I’d do. OK, that I’ve done.
Buena suerte en el futuro.

My god yes -- I'm happy for you!

Funny how different life experiences help shape/influence how you view yourself and the world around you. I think your view is an incredibly healthy one and I'm glad that you are living, loving, and learning because that is a fantastic combo! Hope to see you while you're back in CA!

wow- this entry made me cry--

i just quit grad school --

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.