« Home | The Parental Unit: Part 3 » | The Parental Unit: Part 2 » | The Parental Unit: Part 1 » | All the Media Attention is Exhausting » | The Great Post-it Note Debate » | The Commute » | Overheard in an Apartment in Mexico » | Small Town Weather » | Red Cross Revisited » | Bug-Monster Update » 

Monday, June 12, 2006 

Painful


I know nobody cares but the US lost their first game of the 2006 World Cup. We have one of the hardest groups of the tournament and were soundly spanked by the Czech Republic (ranked #2 in the world) today in our opening match.

The World Cup is a huge deal here. When a game is in progress, if you happen to be walking around in the street, you can here the TV comentary seeping through the walls of every business and residence. People were generally nice about our loss but nobody feels particularly sorry for me given that four years ago the US knocked Mexico out of the tournament. People tell me it was one of the worst days they can remember. The whole country was in shock and it remains a touchy subject best avoided in pleasant conversation.

Anyway, I don't feel too bad because no one expected us to win and the Czech team scored three beautiful goals, but still, there is always that glimmer of hope.

Next stop, Italy. Ughh.

Gli Italiani vincerano! Their offense is too much for the sappy usaians. Prediction 3-1 Italy over USAians.

better Czech yourself before you wreck yourself.

Hey Nate - hope all is well. For some reason I thought you were going to Germany for the World Cup. Did you end up canceling? Too bad about the U.S. (and Mexico) both dropping out.

Did your Spanish help you understand the Italian?
"Gli italiani vincerano" =
"Los italianos vencerán".

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.