« Home | Let it Roll » | Hello There Bloggy Town » | Painful » | The Parental Unit: Part 3 » | The Parental Unit: Part 2 » | The Parental Unit: Part 1 » | All the Media Attention is Exhausting » | The Great Post-it Note Debate » | The Commute » | Overheard in an Apartment in Mexico » 

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 

Adventures with Bills

My apartment doesn't have a mailbox. Luckily I don't get any mail. But what about the bills? You are dying to know. I sense this question burning deeply in your minds. I will not let you down. There are, it turns out, a few proven solutions to this problem.
  1. Mail it anyway and see what happens. The post office here is more like the Pony Express of the 1800's without the ponies or any sense of urgency.
  2. Pay your own people to walk around and shove the naked bill, sans envelope, into any available crack or crevice in the front of the house and hope it is found.
  3. Don't send a bill.
Number 3 is my favorite. I've not paid a penny for cable internet for two months nor heard a peep from anyone. A call to the company confirmed that all systems are normal, they simply don't send bills. So now we wait to see who blinks first in this bloodless war of nerves.

On the flip side, I also can't pay my bills through the mail. A much less amusing problem. On bill day I walk all over the city to the various approved banks and convenience stores who accept payments for each bill. 7-11 for the water bill, a bank for the electricity bill, and if I ever pay it, the tiny cable office that lacks a street number or, according to the recepcionist, a cross street.

I write this not to complain about the reality but to share what could be with those of you frustrated that your local grocery store doesn't offer online billpay.

hilarious. i was just paying some of those, how-do-you-call?, bills yesterday, and thought about how amazing it is that i can just drop them in a box. love the bit about the pony express, without the pony or the urgency. too funny.

I love it. I guess they have different worries over there than bills!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.