« Home | El Grito » | A Matter of Priorities » | Doctors - Effective Eventually, Most of the Time » | The Best Year » | Guadalajara: Part 2 » | The Saga Continues – A Not So Warm Welcome Part 2 » | A Not So Warm Welcome » | Home Again » | The Approaching Storm » | Guadalajara: Part 1 » 

Thursday, September 28, 2006 

A Favorite Deadly(?) Topic

A few notes on a favorite topic of mine – scorpions.

I found and killed my 3rd scorpion. This one was on my bedroom wall, stinger poised in attack mode, about 3 feet from where my head would be if I were sleeping. I started to go for the camera to document this small warrior but I noticed him tense up so I decided best not to lose the opportunity. I took of a shoe and wham, that was the end of Mr. I-May-or-May-Not-Kill-You-While-You’re-Sleeping.

This scorpion was much smaller than the fellow who received the Rim Chop. He was in fact the the exact same size and in almost the exact same place as the other one I killed in my bedroom. Maybe there is some merit to the “scorpions travel in pairs” theory. And this, my friends, is not comforting news. This means there is another, big, mean, recently widowed Scorpion somewhere in my apartment plotting revenge against the evil, scorpion hating giant who has taken up residence here (me).

Interesting scorpion fact: The word for scorpion in spanish is “la alacrán”. Alacrán is actually of Arabic origin and found it’s way into Spanish sometime after the Moors invaded Spain in 711. Many Arabic words in Spanish can be identified by the prefix “al-”. This is because in Arabic the word was actually closer to “al acrán”. The “al” being the Arabic definite article which in English is “the”. So the spanish heard “al acrán” as one word and added their own article “la” at the front, thus, “la alacrán.” (Or so I’m told). Other Arabic words in Spanish that follow this pattern include: almuerzo which means lunch and almohada which means pillow.

And not that anyone’s keeping score but just for the record:
Scorpion Army of Death: 0
Nate: 3

No, almuerzo comes from the latin word "admorsus", the past participle of admordere- to bite into.

A closer look at the word novia you can see "no via", that makes sense. But did you know that novia is also yiddish for "king of pop"?!

Did you know that Keno comes from "Ken-o", from the masculine form of Kenny in Alfonsanglish. Alfonso comes from the arabic "Al Fonzarella" which means "often dumping".

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.