« Home | I Must Be Crazy » | Mexican Politics in Action » | Now Showing in your Email Inbox » | La Vista » | Phantom Truck » | Pretty Things Near My Apartment » | Country of Contradictions » | I Made Salsa » | School Days » | Favorite New Snack » 

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 

Mercado San Juan

The Mercado San Juan, located three blocks from my apartment, delivers a shopping experience quite different from your local Safeway. Though similar to a farmer's market, the mercado's hundreds of enthusiastic and vocal vendors create an interactive adventure wholly unique to Mexico. Heeding the requests of these marketeers results in a tour of fresh Avocados, Chile, handmade Tortillas, Papaya, Mango, Cactus, and recently alive and now dead and de-feathered chickens.

And the prices! Not even the biggest and best supermarkets can compete. Here in Morelia the best 'Super' is, dare I say it, Walmart. Sad but true. The reality is that people (including myself) buy fresh food at the mercado and everything else at Walmart.

Below are a few photos from my first, chaperoned trip to the mercado. I've since completed solo journeys but it is still a crazy experience. Kilos, pesos, Spanish, 20 vendors selling the same stuff - what's a guy to do?

An aisle of fruit vendors.

Marisol picking out the best Mandarin Oranges.
(I'm still completely useless at picking out the best fruits and vegetables.)

Me and my reusable, old lady, shopping bag.
With a hundred little stores each giving you a tiny bag it is the only way...really.

About me

  • I'm Nate
  • From Morelia, Michoacán, Mexico
  • I used to live in California. Then I met the girl you see here in this photo. The next thing I knew I was in Mexico swinging a frying pan at a scorpion and chasing after phantom trucks. You will find pictures and stories about my life in the pages that follow.
My profile

Subscribe To This Site

Enter your email to subscribe


Powered by FeedBlitz



Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to My AOL




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.